Welcome to the first instalment of my blogger of the month series. It’s a way for you to get to meet the people behind some of the blogs that I enjoy.
We’re starting with Janelle from TheNellyBean – so if you haven’t done so already, I’d recommend that you check her out – after you’ve read her answers of course!
1. What’s the link for your blog and how would you describe it in a couple of sentences?
I’m over at The Nelly Bean and my blog is all about beauty, life’s funny moments and my experiences as a music teacher. Me in a nutshell!
2. Have you always enjoyed writing, or did you only start recently?
I’ve always loved writing since I was much younger, and always felt like I could express myself better through pen and paper rather than verbally. I’ve learned how to function socially as a human being since then (hopefully) but I still feel the same way about writing.
3. What’s one of your favourite posts from your blog, and why?
Probably my post called Rambly Ramblings, which was written after I’d been away from blogging for a long time – life gets in the way sometimes. I felt as if I was just emptying my thoughts when writing it and it felt so natural – for me, that’s what blogging is all about.
4. How do you make sure that you don’t run out of ideas? Where do you get most of your inspiration?
I always keep a little list of drafts to hand, and always brainstorm ideas for blog posts when I have a bit of spare time or when I’m feeling particularly creative. Most of my inspiration comes from observations in real life or thoughts that cross my mind during the day (or night).
5. What would you say is the best thing about blogging?
Being able to have a platform dedicated to the expression of anything and everything you fancy. It’s like having a blank piece of paper – terrifying yet so exciting.
6. What’s one of your most popular posts? Why do you think people liked it so much?
My post called 10 Thoughts I Have Whilst Putting Makeup On – I felt like I couldn’t be the only one having these random thoughts whilst doing my face and it turns out lots of other people could relate.
7. If you were asked to put together a beauty and lifestyle box with 4 products inside, which favourite items would you put in?
I’d go with the NYX Blush in Taupe (absolute saviour for contouring), a big bar of Cadbury’s Dairy Milk, a red tinted Vaseline and a pair of fluffy socks. Those four never let me down.
8. What’s one thing you wouldn’t have done or learned if you hadn’t started a blog?
I would definitely never have realised the sheer power of social media, and I would definitely not have learned to navigate WordPress. I’m far from good at it and coding still baffles me, but I’ve come a long way.
9. Have you ever bought anything because a blogger was talking about it?
Yes – the NYX Lip Lingerie in Exotic. Now I’m another blogger who raves about it and I have zero regrets.
10. What’s your most recent post?
It’s called 5 Things I Have Learned In 2018 (So Far). Short and sweet one, I was feeling retrospective.
11. Have you read any good books lately?
I’ve been meaning to read The Picture Of Dorian Gray – maybe when uni work calms down a little.
12. Online shopping or going to the shops – which do you prefer and why?
I tend to go online to do my research but I almost always prefer to buy in store. Maybe I’m old fashioned, but there’s nothing quite like being able to try the product for yourself – especially when it comes to jeans and makeup!
13. What’s a trend that you think should stay in 2017 – something you hope will go away this year?
Everything about Logan Paul.
14. If you were in a hurry and only had time to apply 3 make-up products, what would they be?
Mascara, tinted vaseline, concealer.
15. What do you need for the perfect night in?
My laptop, fluffy socks and a massive mug of lemon and ginger tea.
16. What’s one thing that you would like to do this year?
I’d love to say yes to more things and take more chances. And be hella proud of myself for it!
Go for it – I hope 2018 will be a year full of new opportunities for you Janelle, and to everyone else, don’t forget to go and check out her blog!
More from Unseen Beauty
If you’d like to get my catch-up emails, usually twice a week, you can sign up using this form.
The emails contain news of my new posts, other things that I’ve enjoyed (podcasts, posts from other bloggers, interesting articles etc), and any UK shopping deals or discounts that I think my readers might like.