It’s time for the next in my Blogger of the Month series, and today I’m talking to Kathleen, whose blog I discovered a few months ago. I like Kathleen’s blog because it covers a wide range of topics from beauty to books to travel, and sometimes she does bilingual posts, which gives me the chance to see how many Dutch words I can recognise and whether it’s enough to understand the sentence! I also enjoy Here’s what Kathleen had to say:
1. What’s the link for your blog and how would you describe it in a couple of sentences?
It’s The good, the fab, and the lovely. I have been blogging for about 3 years. I blog a bit about everything I guess: beauty, fashion, travel, books and lately I have also done some posts about food. Whatever interests me I blog about .
2. Have you always enjoyed writing, or did you only start recently?
I have always enjoyed language, but I started writing blog posts about 3 years ago. Even though I am from Belgium (the Dutch-speaking part), I decided to blog in English as I thought that would attract more followers and readers.. I know I write mistakes, but overall I think I manage! Anyway, I’ve been learning heaps writing in English.
3. What’s one of your favourite posts from your blog, and why?
I’ve been writing these ‘nostalgia’ posts recently like this one: Going back to the 90s and I certainly enjoy writing them as it is always a trip down memory lane 😊 I talk about my favourite events, music, books, games,… of a certain decade.
Another favourite post of mine is a post I wrote some time ago about organ donation, a subject which lies very close to my heart as my husband is a transplant patient. In this post I write about the struggles we’ve endured during his disease and what organ donation meant to us. Whenever I can, I try to convince people to put themselves up as an organ donor as it saves so many lives…
4. How do you make sure that you don’t run out of ideas? Where do you get most of your inspiration?
I’ve got a notebook in which I write down all my ideas. I get my ideas from everywhere: magazines, other blogs, television,…Whenever I think something is worth writing about, I put it down in my notebook and when I need inspiration, I browse in it. So far I haven’t suffered from writer’s block… yet!
5. What would you say is the best thing about blogging?
Oh I love everything about blogging! If I could I would make it my fulltime job! I like the writing, taking pictures, the interacting with readers and other bloggers,… I’ve been blogging for 3 years and haven’t regretted it a single minute!
6. What’s one of your most popular posts? Why do you think people liked it so much?
My most popular post is one about a beauty product from L’Oréal, the Revitalift laser peeling lotion. I honestly wouldn’t know why this keeps attracting readers, but it sure is good for my stats!
7. If you were asked to put together a beauty and lifestyle box with 4 products inside, which favourite items would you put in?
So difficult to choose only 4 products!!! For now I’d go for these 4:
– Chanel n°5 as that is one of my all-time favourite perfumes.
– Coconut oil:you can use it as a cleanser, as a bodylotion, to nourish your hair, with some sugar in it you can use it as a scrub,… i just love the versatility of this product!
– Estée LauderAdvanced Night Repair Concentrated Recovery Powerfoil Mask: this sheet mask is too good to be true… such a shame about the price 😞
– Urban Decay Naked 2 eyeshadow palette… it really lives up to its expectations!! I love the shades, it has great pigmentation and there are just so many possibilities with this palette.
8. What’s one thing you wouldn’t have done or learned if you hadn’t started a blog?
As I already said, my English has improved a lot since blogging. When I write a post I will also look up information about the brand, the destination,… so those are things I would otherwise not know. Blogging definitely broadens my mind!
9. Have you ever bought anything because a blogger was talking about it?
Frequently! The Urban Decay Naked 2 eyeshadow palette for instance, a highlighter from Maybelline, a mascara from Rimmel, and many other things!
10. What type of posts do you most enjoy writing? What type of posts do you find hard to write?
I love writing my ‘nostalgia’ posts. As I already said, they’re always a trip down memory lane! The travel posts are usually a bit harder to write as it takes me a bit more research.
11. Have you read any good books lately?
I’m in a book club so I read my ‘compulsory’ books. So far this year, I didn’t like them all, but I don’t mind as reading broadens your mind anyway
I did read a fabulous book lately ‘The last days of Rabbit Hayes’ from Anna McPartlin. It’ about a woman who is diagnosed with cancer. She’s brought to a palliative unit and during her last days, she and her family look back on her life. This might sound a bit soppy and heartbreaking, but I really liked reading this book… and yes… I cried my eyes out at the end…
Another book I really liked reading was ‘Afterwards’ by Rosamund Lupton. It starts with a fire in a school. One mother sees the smoke and runs inside as she knows her daughter is inside. Both survive, but are heavily hurt. Afterwards, the mother must find the identity of the arsonist and protect her family from the person who’s still intent on destroying them. Afterwards, she must fight the limits of her physical strength and discover the limitlessness of love.
12. Online shopping or going to the shops – which do you prefer and why?
When I want something specific and I know it will be hell to find it in a regular shop, I will look online first! The shoes for my sister’s wedding for example. On the online shop I set as many filters as I could (colour, height of heels, price, size, style,…) which left me with plenty of choice. I ordered 5 pairs and kept 1
We do buy a lot of stuff online (books, shoes, clothes, even our fridge and dishwasher!), but I must say that I like an ordinary shopping spree as well!!!
13. What’s a trend that you think should never be seen again?
Braided brows… I mean… come on!!!
14. If you were in a hurry and only had time to apply 3 make-up products, what would they be?
I would go for a mattifying foundation, mascara and lipstick (which I would use as blush as well!).
15. What do you need for the perfect night in?
I looooove a night in!! I’d start with some tapas or some French cheese and wine. Afterwards I’d settle on the couch with a good book, magazine or travel guide, Netflix and some more wine! I also like a board game (ticket to ride!).
16. What’s one thing that you would like to do this year?
Actually, I would like to have certainty about my job… at the moment there are major changes going on in our organization and even though I know I won’t be out of a job, I just want clarity on when/where but especially what!!
Thanks again to Kathleen for answering my questions and I hope you get some good news about your job soon.
To everyone else, be sure to check out Kathleen’s blog – you’re sure to find something you’ll enjoy.
More from Unseen Beauty
If you’d like to get my catch-up emails, usually twice a week, you can sign up using this form.
The emails contain news of my new posts, other things that I’ve enjoyed (podcasts, posts from other bloggers, interesting articles etc), and any UK shopping information that I think my readers might like.
This post contains some affiliate links, but I only promote things that I’ve tried and tested.