As you can probably guess from the title, a year ago today I published my first two posts on this blog. The first one was an introduction, because although I already had another blog, the interface is different and I was still trying to figure out how things worked. The second was a product post, which is still one of my favourite type of posts to write!
The idea of blogging wasn’t new to me because I was already writing for my business blog. I’m an English teacher, so I write about language, language learning tips, writing skills and anything else I think my learners and readers would enjoy.
But Unseen Beauty was going to be different. I wanted it to be a place where I can write about all the other things I enjoy that have nothing to do with my job.
I came up with the name in the bath, where I get a lot of my ideas. For anyone who’s new – “beauty” because I feature a lot of beauty and skincare products, and “unseen” because I’m writing about the products and life in general from the perspective of someone who is blind.
Fast forward a year and I’ve written 120 posts – that number was pushed up quite a lot because I did Blogmas! Here are some of the things I’ve enjoyed – in no particular order:
- Chatting with my readers. I know some of my friends and family read the blog, but I’ve also got comments from people locally and in other parts of the world, which is great!
- Getting to know other Bloggers –including taking part in regular threads in the Blogs in Bloom Facebook group, doing several collaboration posts, and doing my first ever blogger swap box!
- Working with brands – there’s something so nice when a brand that you like is interested in your blog or an idea that you’ve pitched.
- Spreading information – I know some people have tried out new products after I talked about them, and I think that some of the accessibility and disability-related posts have given people new information and helped them to understand some issues better, which makes me happy.
- Supporting charities I care about – I know that at least two people adopted wolves after my post about Madadh and Kgosi and I’m proud to be a virtual ambassador for them. I’ve also talked about the Dog’s Trust and the Wolf Conservation Trust, and I hope these posts have helped people to find out more about them too.
- Trying out some new products and foods – all in the name of research of course!
I’ve got plenty of ideas for content this year, but for now, let’s have a blog party to celebrate. Here’s how to take part:
- Please tell me in the comments one post that you’ve enjoyed, or one topic that you’d like me to cover this year.
- If you have a blog, leave a link to it and tell us a couple of sentences about it. Don’t just leave a link – you’re more likely to get visitors if you let people know what your blog is all about!
- Visit some other blogs that you think look interesting. I can’t check who does this, but people who only take and don’t give anything back don’t get far in life!
So, thanks for reading and now I’m looking forward to your comments!
More from Unseen Beauty
If you’d like to get my catch-up emails, usually twice a week, you can sign up using this form.
The emails contain news of my new posts, other things that I’ve enjoyed (podcasts, posts from other bloggers, interesting articles etc), and any UK shopping deals or discounts that I think my readers might like.